Sunday, August 21, 2011

Life in Alaska

It is Sunday August 21st and the weather is overcast with a constant slow rain.  The days are noticeably shorter than when we first arrived less than a month ago.  I was told that we lose 7 to 8 mins. a day.  Sunset is still late at 9:30 or so.  The temperature averages in the 60's with the sun poking out when it can.  I am ok with a rainy lazy Sunday. 

We have been working now for the past two weeks it has been nice in a way to get back to the real world. What hasn't been that great is the amount of paperwork and id showing it takes to get established in a new town. The dmv was a three trips in two days experience, because apparently valid driver's liscenses, social security cards, photo ids, and utility bills just isn't enough verification that I am who I say I am.  I wish they would get rid of the  boring paperwork and actually put hoops out in the parking lot to jump through.  someday..

I am getting more familiar with the area and Marie and I both are enjoying the almost unlimited hiking trails that are close by.  A great book our friend turned us onto is "Outside in the Interior" by Kyle Joly has been an excellent guide for day trips.  The University of Alaska Fairbanks has summer hiking trails and winter ski trails on the campus and they are amazing.  I have decided that this winter I want to take up cross country skiing and learn how to snow shoe.  There should at least be entertaining photos for people to comment on. 

For a combined birthday gift to each other, Marie and I will be taking the train from Fairbanks to Anchorage over labor day weekend and spending a couple nights in the big city.  We will probably rent bikes and do the tourist thing, taking photos, drinking beer, etc...  The train trip itself is a 12 hour rid that has stops along the way and travels through Denali Park. A little trip before the winter begins.  Yes winter and September I know. 

Well we hope everyone is doing well a we will post more pictures of the north as we get them.
Take Care
Trevor and Marie
Lucy and Maverick

No comments:

Post a Comment